Serverworks chip sets

Steffen Persvold sp at scali.no
Mon Dec 11 09:53:14 PST 2000

Ray Muno wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 06:14:20PM +0100, Steffen Persvold wrote:
> > Ray Muno wrote:
> > >
> > > We are currently looking at different ServerWorks based boards for dual
> > > CPU cluster nodes.
> > >
> > > Is the STREAM info available for different boards?
> > >
> > > We have access to 3 different ServerWorks machines right now, a 370DER HE-SL,
> > > an Intel STL2 (LE) and a Dell Poweredge 1400 (SE).
> > I don't think there is anything called a Serverworks SE chipset, DELL
> > must have misstyped it. The types I know of is HE, HE-SL, LE and WS
> > (which I actually think is the HE-SL),
> > >

> Sorry, early morning typo.  The Dell box is an LE chipset.
>
> Has anyone seen docs for the HE-SL chipset that is being used for these
> boards that are starting to show up, e.g SuperMicro 370DER? ServerWorks
> only has public docs for the HE, LE and WS.  The HE-SL seems to have
> similarities to both the HE and WS.  The WS has support for AGP which
> the others do not.  The only machine that I have ever seen that claims
> a WS chipset is the Intergraph ZX10 that SGI is now selling.
The HE-SL has support for AGP (and thats why I think it's the WS), and
Supermicro has a version with AGP called 370DE6
(http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/RCC_HE_SL/SUPER%20370DE6%20SPECIFICATIONS.htm).
This mb is not possible to use in a 1U rack (using vertical DIMMs)

> The biggest similarity between the WS and HE-SL is that they both seem
> to support 2-way interleaving whereas the HE supports 4-way.
Yet another reason for saying that HE-SL is in fact WS. I may be able to
confirm this with Serverworks, later.

Best regards,
--
  Steffen Persvold               Systems Engineer
  Email : mailto:sp at scali.no     Scali AS (http://www.scali.com)