Scyld and MPI: Is it possible to launch MPI-Program on Nodes only

Carey F. Cox cfcox at coes.latech.edu
Mon Dec 11 05:53:10 PST 2000

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Thomas R Boehme wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any way to launch MPI-jobs with beompi without running them on the
> head node also?
> We want to run multiple jobs on our cluster and don't want to use the head
> node for more than
> one of the jobs (actually, we'd like not to use it at all).
>
> Thomas Boehme

Thomas,

First, I must qualify this reply; I am not familiar with Scyld's
implementation of mpi. Having said that, most versions of mpi that
I am familiar with have a -nolocal option for mpirun. This option
tells mpi to not run on the local node, i.e. the one you start it
on. An example...

	# mpirun -nolocal -np 8 ./a.out

Hope that helps.

Carey

<>  Carey F. Cox, PhD          |  PHONE: (318) 257-3770               <>
<>  Assistant Professor        |  FAX:   (318) 257-2306               <>
<>  Dept. of Mech. Eng.        |  EMAIL: cfcox at coes.latech.edu        <>
<>  Louisiana Tech University  |  WEB:   http://www.latech.edu/~cfcox <>