Serverworks chip sets

David van der Spoel spoel at
Wed Dec 6 11:07:34 PST 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, William R. Pearson wrote:

>My questions:
>(1) Does anyone have experience with the HE-SL chipset?  Are there any
>benchmarks that indicate relative performance the HE-SL and LE Serverworks
>(2) Alternative motherboard/system suggestions?
I have just made a decision based on quotes (in Sweden) and found that the
Supermicro 1U solution was 40 to 50% more expensive than a comparable (CPU
wise,  but maybe not banwidth) solution. I then bought  2U cases with the
Tyan tiger 1834 motherboard (dual Slot-1). The take up to 1.5 or 2 Gb
memory. Two network cards with PXE, no VGA. This machine with 256 MB RAM
and 2 866's set me back roughly $1500. The comparable Supermicro would
have been $2200, so that makes it three nodes for the price of two.

Groeten, David.
Dr. David van der Spoel		Biomedical center, Dept. of Biochemistry
s-mail:	Husargatan 3, Box 576,  75123 Uppsala, Sweden
e-mail: spoel at	www:
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755