pricing on gig ether

Joel Jaeggli joelja at
Wed Aug 2 17:44:09 PDT 2000

in the context of gig-ether switch pricing I've been looking at pricing
again (sort of a weekly exercise these days) for small clusters ~16 nodes
you can do pretty awesome these days...

that's like $1300 for the switch and $1000 for each 4 port gig card, 16
ports 22Gb/s backplane.

so for the recoord that's 4300 / 16 = 268.75 per port

$269 per port for gig, so the switch is cheaper per port than the bay
networks ga620 gig cards we've been buying to put in the machines.

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja at
Academic User Services			     consult at
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.