[3c509] upgrading flash on 3c905b

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Sep 19 12:43:06 PDT 2005

You've made a rather common mistake: posting questions about a 3c905 to
the mailing list for the 3c509 family. Five-zero-nine is not
nine-zero-five, which I think is part of the Vortex family, and you
could probably get a more knowledgeable response on that mailing list.
That said, here is what I have noticed regarding PXE/Etherboot on
off-the-shelf NICs, which may or may not be 100% wrong: Most NICs are
capable of either PXE booting or Etherboot booting, or both; however,
they are typically sold with an empty socket where the boot ROM would
go. The boot ROM chip itself is then sold separately by either the card
manufacturer or a third party. Sometimes such a chip will be an EPROM,
other times, an EEPROM. The card itself would not have circuitry to
flash the boot ROM chip. It must be pulled off the card and flashed
externally if you would like to alter its contents. One may also simply
replace the chip with a ready-made newer one. Many motherboard BIOSes
are not capable of booting from a NIC's boot ROM. In such cases, the
PXE or Etherboot bootstrap is stored on a floppy or hard disk, and the
boot ROM chip, if any, is not used. This method also works just fine
even when diskless booting is possible, with the added advantage of
easy upgradability. Network booting is far easier than most people make
it out to be. Now, about WOL (wake-on-LAN): Even when properly enabled,
WOL is often never properly invoked, so people often think it doesn't
work when they don't even realize that the truth is they never used it
in the first place. When a machine is in low-power hibernation, WOL
looks for a specific magic Ethernet packet to wake the machine from
sleep. There are programs that send such a packet at
<http://www.gknw.com/wol.html>. Feel free to ask for clarifications of
any of the above.
--
"No gnu's is good gnu's."   --Gary Gnu, "The Great Space Coaster"