[3c509] N-Way Auto Negotiation and Full Duplex

Wm. G. McGrath wgm@telus.net
Tue Sep 17 01:38:01 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:21:39 -0400 (EDT)
Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com> wrote:

"On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Wm. G. McGrath wrote:
"
"> Now it seems I am up against ethernet history. I am told that
"509B> full duplexing was developed prior to N-Way Autonegotiation.
"
"Correct.  And pre-NWay full duplex is non-standard.

So what did the 3Com 509B's connect to to achieve full duplex before
NWay? Are there any IEEEs or RFCs? (I'm thinking I might find an old
switch on ebay or something.) And what do they connect to today to
achieve full duplex?

 "The card is in full duplex mode. "The switch is in half duplex
mode. "You have a duplex mismatch and will have bad performance and
packet "loss.

So I'll set it back to mode 4 half duplex. ( Bummer. All for naught
:/)

"Read
"  http://scyld.com/expert/NWay.html
"
Very clear. 3.2 and 4.4. Auto negotiation's backward compatability
is limited to half duplex modes. Sparse.

Anyway, thanks for the help Donald. Much appreciated.

	bill