[3c509] 2.1.6-1: 3C905B installation under Slack 7.1

Alexander Fichman alexf@ness-isi.com
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 04:36:10 +0200

Hi, I am new to this list and a novice at Linux.
I am trying to set up a machine for studying Linux in depth and ran into
some problems
with my NIC…
machine is P-Pro 200 (OCed to 233 by multiplier), 256MB RAM with 3C905B on
it.
Chose Slack because I didn’t want everything done for me ;-)
When Slackware boots with included driver NIC is identified as Boomerang
chipset, with all parameters correct.
dhcpcd fails to connect to the DHCP server running on the same segment
(times out);
the strange thing is that when I ifconfig the interface with IP/Mask it
works fine! I can see my small network and ping everyone.
dl netdriver 2.1.6-1 from the site, tried to install… RPM says: ‘dependency
failed: requires /bin/sh’ – what is wrong? Checked /bin – have @sh there,
4KB long.

btw – what is sh?

Thanks!