[3c509] Problems installing an Etherlink XL PCI card on linux kernel 2.2.12-20

shayes shayes@bigpond.net.au
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:37:14 +1000

Hi, can anyone clear this mess up I have in my head. The many threads of
documentation online have totally confused me. I come from the NT world so I
suppose that shouldn't surprise anyone.

I have newly installed RedHat 6.1 Kernel 2.2.12-20
I also have an Etherlink 3C900B network card

I tried to compile the 3C90x driver I found online but I kept on getting
messages suggesting the I had the wrong driver for the kernel I am using.

I tried the 3c509 driver (because the doco suggested that this might also
support my card) but while :

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c 3c59x.c

returns no errors and appears to create a 3c59x.o file, the command "insmod
driver.o" returns the error:

3c59x.o: coundn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for

Am I approaching this all the wrong way ????

Regards

Steven Hayes